Coldbrook Biodiversity Facility 

The Coldbrook Fish Culture Station (Fish Hatchery) was built in 1938 and began operation in 1939. It was located by Spittal Brook which had a suitable temperature and volume of water. It was stocked with Speckled, Rainbow and Brown trout fry which were later released into lakes in Kings, Hants and Lunenburg counties. The annual release of trout fry was estimated at three to five hundred thousand each year. In 1961 salmon fry was added to the list of that were raised.

Over the years, the programs and facility infrastructure have changed to accommodate the current program, which is a Live Gene Bank (LGB) for endangered stocks of Atlantic Salmon. The LGB began in Nova Scotia at the former Cobequid Fish Culture Station and was moved to the Coldbrook site in 2000.

The facility site occupies an area of approximately 0.65 hectares and uses as much as five million litres of well and river water each day. There are five buildings on site including a hatchery building where fish are spawned and eggs are incubated; the Hubley Building that houses the 32 rearing tanks; a broodstock building with a dozen tanks for holding parr and adults; a workshop and an office building. 

CBF is provided with ideal water quality from Spittal Brook and three wells for the holding and rearing of both juveniles and broodstock Atlantic Salmon. Having access to both surface and groundwater allows for temperature control and flexibility in growing the species at various life stages.